This FAMILY APPROVED, SIMPLE, HEALTHIER version of the BURRITO BOWL has come in many packages in the Jagodzinski house! I have used this recipe to make bowls, stuffed peppers, and now zucchini boats.
For the Burrito Bowl I use the following ingredients but this recipe is so versatile and can easily be changed to add things or take out things as needed/desired. For example, with this meal I added the chopped up zucchini pieces from the boats and put that in with everything else. Usually zucchini is not one of the ingredients. I have also added jalepenos to make it spicier but I usually keep them out so the kids will eat it. Here is how I make this:
- Brown the ground turkey on the stove top with about a cup of salsa (homemade whenever possible to eliminate added sugar and crap)
- Add in 1 can of black beans drained and rinsed, corn drained, petitie diced tomatoes, 4 ounce diced green chilies, 1 cup brown rice, 2 cups low sodium organic chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil then simmer low/medium fro however long your rice says to simmer (usually anywhere from 20-45 minutes depending on the type of rice).
- For zucchini boats:
- Cut length wise and use a melon baller to scoop out.
- Fill the boats with the burrito mixture and bake in oven at 400* for about 20minutes (cover to keep from getting dry as needed (I didn’t but may try it next time).
- Add shredded cheese (if desired) and broil for about 5 minutes.
- For stuffed peppers: cut in half length however you prefer and stuff with mixture and bake.
- Length of time depends on how soft you want the peppers. I prefer mine to still be a little firm. You can also bake the peppers and zucchini for half the time while the burrito bowl is simmering.*Optional toppings sour cream , plain greek yogurt, cheese, salsa
*TIP I use foil to line my pan and then when they are done baking I can just take foil out and throw in trash for less clean up!